Tuesday 28 August 2012

Dunes, buggy's & inappropriate footwear


Haucachina desert, wow, what an enchanting and magical place. I hesitated when the owner if the hostel offered me 'bugging and sandboarding' I don't know why, the 'adventure' hormone was lost that day but deep inside something kicked me up the arse and thankfully I said yes! 4pm we strapped into the 'desert adventure' buggy and by the formula 1 style seat belts I started to wonder whether I should have worn a bra for this.
4pm was much more of a sensible time to travel through the desert, much better than the 2pm post lunch stroll I decided to take up the sand dunes in my strapless dress and Haviana flip flops, I confidently power walked it up the dune to very quickly realise how fucking hot this sand actually was. What was I thinking? But I'm quarter of the way up now and people can see me from there sunbeds at the bottom near the oasis, I can't give up now I told myself, I'm blonde and pale but I can do this!!
Two and half minutes in to the mental boost I gave myself , I gave up, and 'Bridget Jones' style slipped all the way back down to the bottom with nothing but embarrassment and burns.

I was safe inside the buggy, strapped in and ready for a nice little drive. I should of known by looking at the transformer style truck that this was going to be bumpy and fast. It was. Ripping through the sand dunes was exhilarating, some parts we were practically vertical driving up the side of the sandy mountains, it was, I knew going to be an experience I would never forget. As we stopped to sand board down the side of a dune I knew I'd have to be brave, this looked scary. We climbed the rest if the way the buggy couldn't make and we were standing at the top now, the sun on my back not a cloud in the sky, I was going to conquer this bloody dune and love it. There were 3 ways which you could board, on your feet (much like snow boarding) on your bum (like a sledge) or on your tummy (like a wimp) I went for the safe option, tummy.

I was like a bird! Free and alone, in that moment I felt amazing. 3 more times we 'rode' the dunes, in between each stop we sped through the desert faster than before. At 5.30pm was sunset, we pulled up at what seemed like a pathway leading straight to the sun. We sat and watched, each person on the buggy separating themselves from each other to be alone in their thoughts, couples wrapping their arms round each other, it was beautiful the sun sank as quick as that, but watching it was better than any film I'd ever seen.

Plunged in to darkness and winter it felt as nighttime is a cold, cold time in the desert, we quickly revved up, strapped up and sped back to our hostel where I treated myself to a stiff Pisco Sour and apologised to my un-scaffolded chest for that unforeseen roller coaster ride.

Back tomorrow I think, a day in the sunshine and up sticks back to Lima. I have to get a job, and I have to find a decent place to stay......

No comments:

Post a Comment